Jozi Cats in 2017 – The Year at a Glance:
- Hosted a 101 Touch rugby clinic in Cape Town for the 3 clubs in the Western Province and was inspiration for the formation of the Khayelitsha Cats a #SpiritOfCommunity and #SafeSpace initiative.
- Supported the LGBTQI* community with our presence at Cape Town Pride in March as well as hosted a 101 touch rugby clinic to grow gay and inclusive rugby in the Western Cape province in partnership with Western Province Touch Association.
- Formed and entered a second Touch Rugby team into the Into Touch Rugby league at Zoo Lake Sports Club.
- Moved to Diggers Rugby Club to enure the future success of our social mandate goals as well as growing Jozi Cats Rugby Club.
- Signed South Africa’s first Memorandum of Understanding with Diggers Rugby Club, based on the MOU of inclusivity signed between International Gay Rugby and World Rugby – The International Governing Body of Rugby Union.
- Were the first non-European inclusive competitive rugby club from Africa to be invited to represent our continent at the Union Cup in Madrid in April 2017.
- Embarking on a local gay rugby tour to support the Pink Loeries Mardi Gras & Fine Arts Festival in Knysna to show our support to the community and create awareness of our #SpiritOfCommunity #BtheWhistle and #SafeSpace initiatives.
- Competed in our local contact debut on home soil in the Zando Tshwane 10’s, the Digger’s 7’s and Stor-Age Old Boy’s 10’s.
- Participated in the Nali Bali Reading day and hosted a rugby clinic for the children as well as read the book – The Sissy Duckling, which promotes inclusivity, diversity and tolerance.